Tom Quinn, OD, FAAO
• Science has demonstrated that not correcting as low as 0.75 D of astigmatism leads to meaningful visual compromise, especially under mesopic lighting conditions.
• Science has demonstrated that masking astigmatism with spherical soft lenses doesn't work.
• Science, and clinical experience, has demonstrated that toric fitting success with low astigmats is very high (97 percent), with 91 percent successful with the first lens applied1 and takes only about one minute longer than fitting a spherical lens.2
We are vision care specialists. Let's provide that astigmatic correction!
1. Bayer S, Young G. Fitting low astigmats with toric soft contact lenses: what are the benefits and how easily it is achieved? Poster presented at Academy of Optometry annual meeting, December 8-11, 2005, San Diego.
2. Cox SM, Berntsen DA, Bickle KM, Mathew JH, Powell DR, Little BK, Lorenz KO, Nichols JJ. Efficacy of Toric Contact Lenses in Fitting and Patient-Reported Outcomes in Contact Lens Wearers. Eye Contact Lens. 2017 Sep 21. doi: 10.1097/ICL.0000000000000418.
Related: Using toricity with scleral lenses