As technologies continue to evolve, ODs sometimes struggle to adapt. Find out why embracing new technologies may be key in keeping one’s practice relevant in the 21st century.
As optometry has evolved into the realm of therapeutics, the use of new technologies has become integral to optometric care. These include wavefront aberrometry, optical coherence tomography (OCT), corneal topography, and fundus photography.1 In the 21st century, ODs and other healthcare providers must address the problems of privacy and data security.
Except for radiology, I have found that eyecare providers have used medical imaging more than perhaps any other specialty.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and privacy concerns occupy a great deal of time for ODs whether one is in private practice or works in academia, hospital, referral center, or an OD-MD practice.
As technology advances, many new diagnostic and therapeutic equipment utilizes cloud-based storage systems. It is part of optometrists’ professional responsibility to maintain patient privacy, prevent identity theft, and understand data security.
1. Wong T, Steinway A, Wolke T. Eye care analytics: A new paradigm for primary eye care. Adv Ocular Surf. May/June 2017. Available at: https://collaborativeeye.com/articles/best-of-aoc/eye-care-analytics-a-n.... Accessed 7/24/18.
2. Lee K. Medical imaging storage strategies aim for the cloud. TechTarget. Available at: https://searchhealthit.techtarget.com/feature/Medical-imaging-storage-st.... Accessed 7/3/18.
3. PCON Editorial Board. Melton and Thomas: Pioneers in ocular pharmacology education. Primary Care Optometry News. Available at: https://www.healio.com/optometry/therapeutics/news/print/primary-care-op.... Accessed 7/3/18.
4. American Optometric Association. The Optometric Oath. Available at: https://www.aoa.org/about-the-aoa/ethics-and-values/the-optometric-oath. Accessed 7/3/18.
5. TechTarget. Vendor Neutral Archive (VNA). https://searchhealthit.techtarget.com/definition/Vendor-neutral-archive-VNA.
6. TechTarget. Vendor Neutral Archive (VNA). Available at: https://searchhealthit.techtarget.com/definition/Vendor-neutral-archive-VNA. Accessed 7/3/18.
7. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Summary of the HIPPA Security Rule. Available at: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/security/laws-regulations/in.... Accessed 7/3/18.
8. New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) Catalyst. What is Value-Based Healthcare? Available at: https://catalyst.nejm.org/what-is-value-based-healthcare/. Accessed 7/3/18.
9. Rai N. 10 benefits of moving Your EHR System to the Cloud. First Insight. Available at: https://www.first-insight.com/2018/05/07/benefits-moving-ehr-system-cloud/. Accessed 7/3/18.