Cliradex (Cliradex) is a pre-moistened towelette that contains tea tree oil meant to clean lids, lashes, and face. This product is intended for patients with meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD), blepharitis, demodex, rosacea, and other lid diseases.
Cliradex is preservative free and is found over the counter. It can be used once or twice a day. The company recommends that you use this product for at least 60 days to get rid of demodex mites. Daily maintenance is recommended.3
Related: What’s all the craze about demodex?
Blephadex (Lunovus )comes in both an eyelid foam cleanser and pre-moistened wipes. Blephadex specifically contains tea tree oil to help combat demodex mites. It is recommended to be used once daily continuously for treatment, maintenance, and prevention.
Blephadex is available only online or via phone for direct shipment.
A prescription pad with your specific physician code can be sent to your office with their various products that you can prescribe to the patient.4
1. Czepita D, KuÅºna-Grygiel W, Czepita M, Grobelny A. Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis as a cause of chronic marginal blepharitis. Ann Acad Med Stetin. 2007;53(1):63-7; discussion 67.
2. Tighe S, Gao YY, Tseng SC. Terpinen-4-ol is the Most Active Ingredient of Tea Tree Oil to Kill Demodex Mites. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2013 Nov;2(7):2.
3. Cliradex website. Available at: www.cliradex.com. Accessed 12/8/16.
4. Lunovus website. Available at: http://lunovus.us/product/blephadex-eyelid-wipes/. Accessed 12/8/16.
5. RySurg website. Available at: http://www.rysurg.com/doctors/index.php/how-does-blephex-work.html. Accessed 12/8/16.
6. Ocusoft website. Available at: www.ocusoft.com. Accessed 12/8/16.
7. O’Dell LE, Sullivan AG, Periman LM. Uncover patient lifestyle habits that lead to OSD. Optometry Times. 2016 Nov. Available at: http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine.com/optometrytimes/news/uncover-pat.... Accessed 12/8/16.