Updated 3/29/20 with information from the second part of the two-part virtual town hall.
Note: This story will be updated with information from the second of a two-part virtual town hall. Join the conversation at 9 PM ET tonight (March 26, 2020) at https://www.powerpractice.com/the-power-hour/listen-to-the-show/.
Related: Can azithromycin treat COVID-19?
As a profession, optometry is uniting to weather the storm of novel coronavirus 2019 and associated COVID-19. One example of this took place last night.
Gary Gerber, OD, founder and CEO of The Power Practice, hosted the first of a two-part virtual town hall on #Save2020Eyecare. The town hall was conducted via Dr. Gerber’s weekly optometry radio show, Power Hour.
“Tonight is the beginning for industry and doctors to pull together by sharing knowledge to ensure our profession will move forward,” Dr. Gerber says at the start of part one of the virtual town hall.
Bart Foster, founder and managing director of Sanitas Advisors, explained why the eyecare industry may lose stand to lose up to $1.7B per month. He created a short animation to show how.
Dr. Gerber asked leaders of ophthalmic businesses to share their thoughts on decision-making during difficult times and what advice they offer to ODs.
Part one's panelists include:
• Marc Ferrara, CEO of information services at Jobson Medical Information
• Tom Burke, CEO of ABB Optical
• Jerry Warner, executive vice president Americas and global commercial functions at CooperVision
• Rick Gadd, president of Essilor of America
• Jim McGrann, chairman and CEO of Healthy Eyes Advantage
• Thomas Swinnen, president North America at Johnson & Johnson Vision
• Fabrizio Uguzzoni, president of Luxottica Wholesale
• Bob Schultz, president and CEO of Vision One Credit Union
• Michelle Skinner, chief network officer of VSP
Following is advice offered by each panelist.