Get involved by incorporating one (or more) of these seven ideas to recognize Healthy Vision Month.
Bethesda, MD-May is Healthy Vision Month, a national eye-health observance established by the National Eye Institute (NEI) in May 2003. Healthy Vision Month is designed to elevate vision as a health priority for the US by promoting the importance of early detection and treatment, as well as the use of proper eye safety practices, in preventing vision loss and blindness.
One of the most important things optometrists can do is to encourage people to schedule a comprehensive dilated eye exam. Other ways you can get involved include:
1. Volunteer to give a talk to coaches and parents of local Little League teams about how to prevent eye injuries in their children this summer and year-round.
2. Partner with a local hardware store to give a talk to their customers about the importance of protective eyewear when doing home improvement projects.
3. Work with local senior centers, assisted-living facilities, or other community organizations that serve older adults to inform people about eye health.
4. Hand out eye health resources at any event in which you participate. Brochures and booklets on a variety of eye health topics are available from the NEI online catalog. The majority of resources are available in English and Spanish.
5. Post one of the NEI drop-in articles on your blog or Web site.
6. Place NEI materials about eye health in your waiting room, local clinics, and health centers.
7. Add the NEI Healthy Eyes Widget to your Web site.